6.17.2004

Bit and Pieces


Here I am, once again, following up on one of Sean's posts nearly a week later. He linked to THE 50 COOLEST SONG PARTS. For what it's worth, here are some of my thoughts. Rather than commenting on each entry, I am listing the ones I like, and offering a few of my own. The ones I offer are just a few of many, many that I love, and I am not sure I could choose a top 50. The ones I offer are just the ones that came to me off the top of my head, and are not necessarily even my favorites.

From the list:

#45 "Blister in the Sun"
#43 "Let's Go Crazy" Yes, the Purple One can play.
#38 "All Night Long" OK, I admit it.
#37 "Flash Gordon"
#36 "You Can Call Me Al"
#34 "La Bamba"
#25 "Purple Haze"
#19 "Baba O Riley"
#16 "One Step Beyond"
#11 "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"
#6 "Immigrant Song" and you gotta love the Viking Kittens
#4 "Bohemian Rhapsody"
#5 "A Boy Named Sue"

And I'll throw #9 "Hot for Teacher" in for purely nostalgic reasons. Ask Jaquandor if you want more details.

#31 "Come Together" is good, but from Abbey Road I would rather see "The End" with Paul, George and John trading two bar guitar solos. Also from Abbey Road, The guitar, bass, drum and cricket intro to "Sun King."

Others:

Another Beatles- Ringo never gets props he deserves. His drumming on "She Said She Said" is brilliant.

The Beatles- I could list Beatle songs forever, so this is the last one. Lennon's scream on "Revolution."

Tori Amos- "Spark" The middle bit:
"How many fates turn around in the overtime
Ballerinas that have fins that you'll never find
You thought that you were the bomb, yeah, well so did I."
Especially the piano.

Björk- Anything she sings

I agree with Sean on "Hey Ya."

Weezer- "Say it ain't So" Cuomo sings "Flip on the telly, wrestle with Jimmy."

Elvis Costello- "Allison, I know this world is killing you. Oh Allison, my aim is true."

Beck- The organ at the beginning of "Where it's at."

George Harrison- Intro to "Wah-Wah."

Dave Matthews Band- The chorus to "Satellite."

Sublime- Jon Blondell's trombone on "Wrong Way."

Paul Simon- The drums on "Obvious Child, " but I love the whole song. Listen to it and not feel better, I dare you.

No comments: