8.26.2007

INCOMING!

This morning I awoke to the distinctive scream of a DC-9. Not an unusual sound at our house, but this was loud. I mean, it woke ME up. I opened my eyes and all I could see through the skylight over our bed was fuselage. A little bit of wing, a sliver of sky, but mostly fuselage. Runway construction started at Minneapolis Saint Paul International about two weeks ago, and until the work is complete the new north-south runway, normally restricted to take-offs to and approaches from the south, is being used over Minneapolis.



This was shot in my back yard, over the course of about 15 minutes or so, during the evening rush last weekend. Before it was run through the patented YouTube Crap-O-Lation Filter you could clearly make out the rotation in the trees caused by the wingtip vortices, which follow 6-10 seconds after the plane. The first night it was kinda cool, but that wore off fast. I want this done even more than the Crosstown project.

**I will likely try uploading this again, and see if YouTube can encode it without that crap at the beginning**

3 comments:

Dan said...

Holy cow, AJ, that sucks.

Pat said...

Makes me want to lay on your roof and talk about Babe-raham Lincoln. I'll be sure not to place my butt directly over your skylight, at least when I know you're there. If you're gone all bets are off.

Aaron said...

A DC-9 is one thing, but waking up to your full moon...